Sunday, September 30, 2012

Jambalaya

This recipe has been in my circle of friends for at least 20 years.

It was discoverd by my best friend Jeremy and shared with me.

There are no shrimp in this recipe but by all means you can add what you want.
(trust me you wont hurt my feelings).

Ok please note, file powder (ground sassafras) is a little hard to find so i would suggest when you find it get it.

This dish has become a staple for get togethers with friends on game day
as well as those late poker nights.

The left overs (if any ) have saved my wallet when it comes to packing a lunch for work.

you will need:
1 1/ 2  cups green bell peppers chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1/12 cups chopped celery
(this my friends is the trinity the father,son and holy ghost of cajun/creole cooking)
1 1/2 tsp garlic chopped
4 small bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground dry mustard
1 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 tsp file` powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
4 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups diced ham (smoked)
4 linksAndouille sausage cubed rusticly
2 boneless chicken breasts cubed rusticly



place butter in to stock pot and sweat the trinity. stir in spices and garlic.



Add in the meats and stir again let chicken start to cook.
once chicke starts to begin to turn white, add in:
4 cups of stock (basic beef or chicken)



Bring to a boil.......then add in 2 cups uncooked rice....

Stir then COVER WITH LID TURN OFF HEAT AND LEAVE ALONE FOR 20-25 minutes
this will force rice to cook itself and absorb the stock and spices.

Note: if you take off lid prior to alotted time you will ruin it.


This dish is packed with flavor and just the right amount of heat. Enjoy it !!

One last thing, I want to thank my best friend Jeremy Beyer for sharing this with me some 20 odd years ago. 

It has been and always will be  a great go to meal.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Is the butter needed? I try to be healthy when I make my stuff and don't use butter, (even though its great!!!). I have a simple ass Jambalaya recipe that I do when I make mine. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete